Thursday, March 12, 2009

Kristine Lunt John








1. Where are you living right now? In the Valley of the Sun, AZ. We just moved back to AZ in January.
2. Are you married? If so, who did you marry?I met my husband, Patrick John, when I was a sophomore at EAC (in 1991), and we got married 2 1/2 years later in 1993. It's hard to believe that we have been married for 15 years.
3. Do you have any kids? If so, names and ages.We do have 7 children, and they keep me extremely busy! Our oldest is in middle school and our youngest is approaching 2 years old. They all look like each other...we used the same cookie cutter on each one!
4. Do you have a college degree? From where and in what?I went to EAC right after graduation, and then headed up to NAU. I graduated in Dec. of '93 with a degree in Elementary/Special Education. I had student taught in Mesa, and was blessed enough to get a job there at the school where I student taught. I taught 3rd grade for 4 years and loved teaching. During the last year I taught, I started my Master's through a NAU/Mesa Public Schools cadre group where they brought the Master's classes to us as MPS teachers. I was able to finish my Master's Degree in Elementary Education right before my 3rd child was born in 1999.
5. What do you do for a living?I cook. I clean. I make appointments. I counsel. I nurse the sick and injured. I tutor. I chauffer. I don't bring in any money (but I save us a lot!). I stay home with my 2 youngest children and make my house a home. I do sell Stampin' Up! product in my "spare" time, and I love that I can be creative, socialize and teach all in one setting.
6. How many places have you lived since graduation? Name them.Hmmm...Thatcher, Flagstaff, Mesa, Kearny, Silver City, NM and now back to AZ.
7. Briefly summarize any other major events that have happened in your life since graduation.I was hit by a car while I was crossing the highway at EAC in 1991. I was orginally told I would not be able to have children, so I endured a lot of surgeries related to fertility issues (they worked, don'tcha think?!!). Other than that, life has had it's normal ups and downs, but I've done my best to enjoy the journey...no matter what the destination.
8. What is your favorite memory of high school?I love the trips we went on with the speech/drama team. There were some amazing experiences, from our van breaking down in Oracle and us hitching a ride into the U of A. As a senior, I loved being on the yearbook staff constantly finding reasons to go and do jobs that related to the yearbook (and get out of class). Taking pictures for the yearbook actually helped me realize I have a great interest in photography.
9. What are some of your favorite songs from high school?I loved "Manic Monday" (Bangles), "The Search is Over"(Journey), and anything by Chicago.
10. Who is the teacher/class you remember most from high school?Risa Udall, and Lynette Burdick. It was a mix of academic torture, interesting facts and fun socialization to be a part of their classes.I still remember facts from Risa's class and love the quote notebooks that I still(!) have. I was never quite the same after Chemistry II when we had a class member set his hair on fire. (Hairspray is quite flammable!!)
11. If you could go back, what would you change about your high school years?I would have been more outgoing and less reserved and shy.
12. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?I see myself taking care of my family, enjoying everyday life, writing a little (or a lot), and perhaps teaching again (if I feel so inclined). I'd love to go on and get my doctrate at some point and teach college, but it definitely is not my first priority.
13. What is one accomplishment since high school that you are proud of? I love that I have been able (with God's blessing) to create the family that I always desired. It's not just about having lots of kids, but lots of love and a safe place for them to come home to. I want them to feel confident and happy in the world and have the time to just be kids. Life goes by way too fast, and they need the great memories to help them get through the hard times.
14. What is one piece of advice you would give a future graduate of SJHS?Be yourself, and don't be afraid to share that with others.
15. Anything else you want to say to your former classmates?Life is good. Enjoy each day, and tell people when they are important to you. Thanks for the memories.