Thursday, March 12, 2009

Joane Garren Ford






1. Where are you living right now? We are currently living on the Hawaiian island of Oahu.

2. Are you married? If so, who did you marry? I married someone I met in college. His name is Chad Ford (he's supah smart, loves the band U2 and is a Star Wars geek...don't get me started on the giant Wookie in our house). Before I got married, my brother told me that I needed to date more Chad's and once I found Chad Reagan, that he'd be the one. For some reason, I have a great interest in boys named Chad with presidential last names. I don't think there is a Chad Obama but I'm still looking.

3. Do you have any kids? If so, names and ages. Kids, uh huh... Makenna - 13 (genius...will graduate from high school at 14), T.K. - 11 (Master Lego Builder), Emmy-Skye - 7 (Fashion Designer) and Summer - 4 (Pure Sunshine)

4. Do you have a college degree? From where and in what? Yes. I would like to say MIT...that would sound so good. However, my degree is in Elementary Education from BYU-Hawaii. At first, I was studying Humanities because Risa Udall was/is my idol in high school and she helped me to LOVE famous poets and amazing artists. However, I went on study abroad to England...visited amazing cathedrals, museums, art galleries, etc. After that, I was tired of studying dead people and thought that I'd study something more alive like...children. That's how I came to have a degree in Elementary Education.

5. What do you do for a living? Right now I teach at my daughter's preschool. After she graduates I'm going to either work on a real estate license or go back to school for my master's degree in Educational Technology.

6. How many places have you lived since graduation? Utah, London, Hawaii, Virginia, Missouri, Connecticut

7. Briefly summarize any other major events that have happened in your life since graduation. I grew up in a sugar free home. You know my mom owned a health food store...right? We had more vitamins than food in our cupboards at home. Anyway, despite the lack of sugar, I've (most likely) been through more root canals and cavities than anyone in our graduating class.

8. What is your favorite memory of high school? I have a lot of those but I guess I'll say eating lunch at the triangle intersection on main street with Aaron Lambson and a few other folks...but wait... winning Academic Decathlon for two years in a row was so super sweet. I don't care what Mark Brown says on Facebook we were not geeks.

9. What are some of your favorite songs from high school? This is going to be tough to remember the big 80's but O.K. Just have to say Africa by Toto was really my ultimate favorite. From there, I'll go with Take on Me by A-Ha, Come on Eileen, 99 Red Balloons, Mony, Mony, Safety Dance.

10. Who is the teacher/class you remember most from high school? Risa Udall, English 12, Humanities and Academic Decathlon prep. Mrs. Udall, what an inspiration to us all! Thank you for all the great quotes we had to write in our notebooks.


11. If you could go back, what would you change about your high school years? I would not have 80's hair. Sheezh! Could we have gotten our bangs to go any higher?

12. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? I'm not asking for a lot but I'd like to be a decent surfer...long boarder...no turns or ripping has to be involved...just catch the waves, standing up smooth.
10 years? Teaching at the School of Education at BYU-Hawaii or six inches taller...whichever comes first.

13. What is one accomplishment since high school that you are proud of? I was raised by my mom with no siblings or relatives around so, for me, it was really important to have a family. I'm proud of my family and proud that through good times, poor times, hard times, my husband and I have stayed together and created a good place for our kids to grow up.

14. What is one piece of advice you would give a future graduate of SJHS? You will look back on these times your entire life. Make good choices and enjoy the time you spent at SJHS.

15. Anything else you want to say to your former classmates? I just want you all to know there are no pink clothes in my wardrobe.